The Superintendent provides overall leadership for on-site field administration, supervision and technical management for all construction operations, including direct supervision of assistants, foreman, subcontractors, and other construction related personnel. Directing them in planning, coordination and execution of work on time, within budget, while maintaining a safe work place, enhancing client relationships and promoting the company image.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Estimating and Project Management to develop an initial project schedule and communicate sequence and schedule updates to all subcontractors and vendors.
- Implement, maintain, and enforce a site-specific project safety orientation program in accordance with all Safety Standard Policies and Processes, local, state, and federal laws to include all subcontractors and employees.
- Team with project management to lead group for duration of project.
- Develop, implement, maintain, and enforce, in conjunction with the project management team, a quality assurance and workmanship program to include all subcontractors.
- Interface with owners and design team on construction issues through established procedures.
- Participate with the project management team in issuance of monthly project status reports, monthly payment applications, anticipated cost reports, and other financial cost reports.
- Develop general conditions budget in coordination with the project management team, and through labor cost reporting manage and control the budget.
- Perform, monitor and document all jobsite control reporting measures including daily reports, payroll, quality reporting, accident and incident reports, and timesheets.
- Review and provide feedback on all purchase orders and subcontractor contracts including review and knowledge of scope of work.
- Perform a qualitative review of all contract documents for potential conflicts or interpretation issues to mitigate risk.
- Ensure timely project completion through project scheduling, working with project team to manage material deliveries and the management of material on site.
- Maintain accurate and organized files of submittals, RFI”s, contracts and fuel reports.
- Maintain and update construction drawings, project specifications, subcontract drawings, shop drawings, and prepare final “as builts.”
- Coordinate with layout and field engineering in accordance with all project requirements.
- Ensure that all requirements of the union contracts and labor relations are met.
- Coordinate daily construction activities within existing operating facilities.
- Proactively identify and solve problems to minimize risk.
- Coordinate approval of subcontractor, vendor payments and other invoices with Project Management Team.
- Complete job start-up and closeout checklist.
- Execute project team’s plan for monitoring the completion of the punch list and coordinate all required field inspections with local jurisdiction and 3rd party inspectors.
- Manage all self-perform work.
- Provide technical assistance to all members of project team.
- Develop, mentor and participate in training junior employees towards a successful career with the company.
- Participate actively in subcontractor meetings.
- Promote the growth and development of client, subcontractor and vendor relationships.
- Provide organization, direction and training of other project team members to assure adherence to Best Practices.
- Maintain current certifications for First Aid, CPR and OSHA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated skills in these areas: managing site activity, anticipating and resolving field related issues, establishing and enforcing site schedule requirements, managing site safety and insurance risks, interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate both written and oral, and leadership.
- Demonstrated success in managing single projects/phases.
- Willingness to train staff on technical issues as well as company policies, processes and quality.
- Ability in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess a positive, “can do” attitude.
- At least six (6) years supervisory construction experience.
- OSHA 30-hour certification.
- Current certifications for First Aid and CPR.
Physical Job Demands: Reaching above and below, stooping and bending. Lifting/carrying/moving up to 75 pounds. Manual dexterity to operate office equipment, file, and perform specialized skills. Needs a high degree of concentration in a busy field environment.
Working Conditions: Field environment. May be exposed to hazardous working environments with heavy machinery and extreme weather conditions. May require travel to remote locations.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, physical job demands and working conditions associated with the job.